Saturday, 20 December 2008

The Murder of Richard Whelan

On 29 July 2005, 28-year-old Richard Whelan was stabbed eight times and died an hour later in the Whittington hospital, Highgate.

A dreadlocked, black man had been harassing other passengers for about 15 minutes on the top deck of a number 43 bus. He had been loud, aggressive, verbally abusive and had begun to throw chips and other detritus from his takeaway at them.

Most of the passengers had gone downstairs to get away this unpleasantness but Richard and his girlfriend steeled themselves and stayed. However, when the man started in on his girlfriend, Richard remonstrated with him. At this point he was attacked without warning.

The man got off the bus and was seen sauntering up Holloway Road after the stabbing, seemingly without a care in the world.

On 8 August, 2005, Anthony Leon Joseph appeared before Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court, charged with Richard's murder.

On the same day that Richard was murdered by Joseph, a young black man named Anthony Walker died in hospital after being attacked by two white men in Huyton, Merseyside.

After passing sentence, Mr Justice Leveson described Anthony's killing as 'a RACIST attack of a type poisonous to any civilised society.'

The Chief Constable of Merseyside, Bernard Hogan-Howe, now the Commissioner of the Met, paid tribute to Anthony and described him as 'a caring and devout Christian who had aspirations to become a lawyer with everything to live for.' He added:

"Merseyside Police is committed to investigating RACIALLY MOTIVATED CRIME."
In the days after which followed Anthony's death, Eddie O'Hara, New Labour MP for Huyton and Anthony's constituency MP, was seen several times on national TV sympathising with the Walker family. He said:

"I feel shocked and saddened and shame on behalf of all of us. We are all totally devastated that this young lad was the victim of what seems to have been A RACIST ATTACK."
At the time these sympathetic comments were being uttered, no one in authority was sympathising with Richard and his family and no establishment or PC figure has EVER described this black-on-white murder as 'racist.'

The BBC and the independent channels mentioned Anthony countless times on their news programmes in the months after his death.

Richard's death was given reasonable coverage on local television for a week or so but was rarely mentioned on nationwide TV. One week after their deaths, if you had typed Anthony's name and the word 'racist' into the BBC's search engine, 10 separate news items would have come up. On the other hand, if you had typed the name of Richard Whelan and the word 'racist' into the same search engine, no news items would have appeared.

Similarly, if you had typed the phrase 'Anthony Walker' along with the words 'murder' and 'Huyton,' (the place where Anthony was attacked), into the Google search engine on the day that his murderers were sentenced to life imprisonment, you would have seen 11,300 hits. On the other hand, if you had typed the phrase 'Richard Whelan' along with the words 'murder' and 'Islington,' (the place where Richard was attacked), into Google on the same day, you would have seen just 625 hits, most of which were generated by Nationalist websites outside the mainstream media.

Thus, according to those who shape the thought processes of society at large, Anthony Walker's life would appear to have been about eighteen times more precious than the life of Richard Whelan.

On 2 August 2005, eight hundred people attended a vigil for Anthony at St George's Hall in Liverpool City centre.

On 5 August 2005, three thousand people attended a candlelit procession from St. Gabriel's church in Huyton, to McGoldrick Park, where Anthony was killed. The vicar of St Gabriels, the Reverend Malcolm Rogers, said:

"We feel that Huyton and Merseyside have lost one of its finest sons".
On 7 August 2005, players and fans observed a period of silence at the Community Shield football between Chelsea, the winners of the premier League, and Arsenal, the winners of the FA Cup, in memory of Anthony Walker.

On 25 August 2005, more than 3,000 people attended Anthony's funeral at Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral. The BBC treated the event with as much panoply, reverence and airtime as it would have done if a member of the Royal family was being buried.

I don't know where or when Richard was buried. As of the 31 August 2005, the BBC had not concerned itself with such a trivial event. In fact, no media outlet in Britain that I am aware of did so.

No vigils or processions were held for Richard. No British vicar declared that London had 'lost one of its finest sons,' and Richard, who was murdered IN LONDON on the same day that Anthony was murdered IN MERSEYSIDE was not commemorated by either of the two LONDON teams contesting the Charity Shield or the events' organisers.

Anthony's mother, Gee Verona, likened her son's murder to that of Stephen Lawrence in 1993, saying:

"This was an entirely RACIALLY MOTIVATED attack. This is on a level with the Stephen Lawrence case. My son was killed purely because of the colour of his skin."
Bang on cue, Doreen Lawrence OBE, mother of Stephen and the director of the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust, sent her personal condolences to the Walker family, saying:

"All the staff and Trustees of the Trust offer their deepest sympathies and condolences to Anthony Walker's family during this time of great anguish and loss. The senseless murder of such a promising young man is a loss to society, and our thoughts and prayers are with Anthony's loved ones."
Indeed, the director of the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust was so moved by Anthony's sad demise that she even visited the scene of his death. However, she never bothered to take a tour on the number 43 bus to offer her 'thoughts and prayers' to the 'loved ones' of a 'promising young man' of the white, British variety killed on the same day.

Richard is pictured below:

No comments:

Post a comment