Saturday, 20 January 2007

The Murder of Kyle Mutch

After Karen Mutch had gone out for the night, her husband, Bangladeshi immigrant, Mohammad Ullah, lost his temper and launched "a murderous attack" upon her baby.

Advocate deputy, Mark Stewart, stated that Kyle had lost about 25 per cent of his blood after he was attacked and added:

"When that degree of violence is used, the person who did it was not caring about the consequences for the victim and what they were engaged in can only be described as a murderous attack."
A senior pathologist told the court that the massive internal injuries Kyle sustained were the worst he had seen in 25 years of practice and were more usually associated with car crash victims. Part of his small intestine had been completely severed and his liver lacerated.

Kyle was murdered after Karen had gone for a night out with friends, leaving the baby in her mother's care. Some time later Ullah came to collect him and took him back to the home he shared with Karen.

PC Colin Begg said:

"Mr Ullah was sitting very quietly and his head was on the desk. He looked up at me and said, 'If I have done this, what would I get?' That's exactly what he said. I asked what he meant. He looked at me and looked away. He didn't answer."
Ullah claimed that Karen's 60-year-old mother, Marlane Low, was responsible for Kyle's death. Karen, who had married Ullah just three months before Kyle's death, also blamed her mother, saying:

"I will always believe that she was to blame and I will never, ever forgive her. I am certain the wrong person has been convicted. I told the police at the time, but they only seemed interested in getting Mohammad for it."
Marlane replied:

"As far as I'm concerned I don't have a daughter any more. She should never have blamed me for Kyle's death. I don't how she can live with herself after accusing her own mother of something so terrible."
Karen's half sister, Lorna Riddoch, said:

"It was obvious to everyone that Karen wasn't in love with Mohammad, but the marriage suited them both. For Karen it meant two wage packets because by then Mohammad was working at a shortbread factory during the day and as a waiter in an Indian restaurant at night. For him, with a wife and stepson to support, it meant less chance of being sent back to Bangladesh."
Ullah, who was also accused of assaulting a four-year-old boy on the 29th of January, 2004, was found guilty of Kyle's murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

After the guilty verdict, the court was told that he had phoned his wife whilst he was on bail and offered her £5,000 to testify that she had seen her mother assaulting Kyle.

No comments:

Post a comment